Peter Mutharika returns amid drama


President Peter Mutharika Sunday arrived from his month-long journey from a foreign trip with a number of incidents happening before, during and after his arrival.

Contrary to people’s expectations that he would speak to reporters at the airport, he did not.

However, when he was leaving the country a month ago for United Nations General Assembly (Unga), Mutharika spoke with the reporters.


And people who decided to witness Mutharika’s arrival from the airport’s waving bay, were told to leave the place, few minutes before his arrival. Some were heard complaining, why they were told to vacate the place.

Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) supporters, who went to the airport in a convoy of about 100 vehicles, had to wait until few minutes before Mutharika’s arrival to be allowed to enter the airport’s plane-landing area to welcome their leader.

The wait for Mutharika was, however, over at 15:38 hours, when a jet, Qatar Executive A7-CED jet landed at the Airport. And Mutharika emerged from the plane at 15:50 hours.


One of the most notable features of Mutharika was his unusual use of the left hand while the right hand looked immobile. And there was suspicious hurrying during his inspection, a guard of honour.

After inspecting of a guard of honour, and also using his left hand in greeting government officials and some others who were gathered at the airport, Mutharika proceeded to his car, and left for Kamuzu Palace.

The arrival of US Airforce plane at Kamuzu International (KIA) around 14:20hrs, aroused interest from scores of people that gathered at the airport to welcome Mutharika. But it left before Mutharika’s arrival.

Vice President Saulos Chilima, who arrived at Kia around 14:30 hours, led the ministers and other officials in welcoming Mutharika.

Minister of Information Malison Ndau Sunday said he was outside the country and needed to consult Presidential Press Secretary Mgeme Kalilani. Kaliliani could not be reached on his mobile phone.

But DPP Secretary General Eckleni Kudomtoni said the people who were spreading negative stories about Mutharika’s health should be ashamed.

“We are happy that our leader is back. Shame to those who were spreading rumours that he has passed away. They have seen it themselves that he is back,” Kudomtoni said.

Mutharika left the country on 16 September for UN General Assembly. His prolonged stay outside the country, attracted criticism from different quarters, with Ndau and Kalilani once in a while explaining why he had not come back home nearly 20 days after the United Nations General Assembly.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker