12 ineligible for Flames Under-17
Malawi National Under-17 Football Team will miss the services of 12 players during this year’s Cosafa Youth Championship because they are over-aged.
The tournament kicks off on July 21 in Mauritius.
Football Association of Malawi (Fam) Technical Director, John Kaputa, said only eight players from the bronze winning squad were still eligible to feature for the side.
“Age is not on their side and this means we will not have them in the squad. According to the records, we have only eight players who are still eligible to don Malawi’s colours at the regional showpiece,” Kaputa said.
He said the good news is that Peter Banda, who emerged the tournament’s top goal scorer with five goals last year, is among the eight who can still feature for the team.
Kaputa said it will not be a big blow for the Flames Under-17 to miss the services of the 12 players.
“We should remember that this is a developmental tournament where players have to graduate from this level to the other. This allows movement as you create room for others to get international exposure,” he said.
However, Kaputa said it was not automatic that the eight players would make it to Mauritius as they were supposed to go through trials to prove that they still have the flair and rhythm to play for the junior Flames.
“They still have to fight for their places with fellow youngsters to remain in the team. Otherwise, the technical panel will not select players based on names or mere availability,” he said.
Fam has maintained De Klerk Msakakuona as the Flames Under-17 Coach to be assisted by Wizards FC Technical Director Peter Mponda.
Enos Chatama of Nyasa Big Bullets Reserve is the Team Manager.
Team Doctor is Victor Jobo whereas goalkeepers’ coach is Heathwin Mkumbaleza.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues