2 Referees face suspension


Top referees, Andy Kuseli and Jones Chimeza, risk a two-month suspension for failing to control the TNM Super League second round match between Nyasa Big Bullets and Azam Tigers a fortnight ago.

Football Association of Malawi’s (Fam) Referees’ Sub-committee recommended the suspension of the duo over their performance during the game played at Kamuzu Stadium.

During the game, Tigers were denied a goal controversially whereas Bullets’ strong penalty appeals were also turned down.


Kuseli was the referee while Chimeza was the first assistant referee.

According to our source, the meeting was held at Fam’s Mpira Village over the weekend where the two were found guilty of failing to control the actions of both teams.

Police fired teargas canisters after irate Bullets’ supporters went on rampage while baying for the pairs’ blood.


National Referees’ Association’s General Secretary, Chris Kalichero, said Fam was better placed to comment about the duo’s suspension.

“I know there are some developments involving this case and Football Association of Malawi is better placed to give out the verdict,” he said.

Fam’s Referees’ sub-Committee Chairperson, Rashid Ntelera, refused to reveal the recommendations that the committee made to the national football governing body.

“Of course, we had a disciplinary hearing where we heard several cases, including the one that involved Epac and Max Bullets. However, you should get in touch with the GS at Fam because he is responsible for sharing that information,” he said.

Fam’s outgoing General Secretary, Suzgo Nyirenda, could not be reached as he was reportedly in South Africa. The association’s new GS, Alfred Gunda, refused to comment because he is yet to assume the responsibilities of his new post.

Meanwhile, Kalichero said acts of hooliganism should not be condoned.

This follows the attack of referees, Richard Grem, Jossam Nkhoma and Stefano Nkhumbwa, during a Chipiku Central Region Football Association’s Premier Division match between Kamuzu Barracks Reserve and Masters Security FC.

Kamuzu Barracks Reserve goalkeeper, Onenji Iwenga, allegedly attacked the referees following his dismissal.

“It is a very unfortunate act of hooliganism. Fam is aware of the situation on the ground. Reporters are even threatened. We need to curb this situation. However, I do not think our referees will boycott the games because it is not the solution. We believe in contact and dialogue,” he said.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker