The Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture has disclosed that 20 companies submitted bids for the construction of Nyasa Big Bullets and Be Forward Wanderers stadia in Blantyre.
Spokesperson for the ministry, Simon Mvundula Tuesday said the reviewing process was done last week in Lilongwe.
“We received an overwhelming response from the contractors and we had a review process. It is our hope that by the end of this week we will announce the successful bidders for the two projects,” Mvundula said.
According to Mvundula, the ministry was also Tuesday opening bids for the construction of the Indoor Netball Court which will be constructed at Njamba Freedom Park in Blantyre.
The department of Department of Buildings finalised the designs of the stadia in February this year.
Bullets Chief Administrator, Albert Chigoga said it was good development that the projects were moving in the right direction.
“We are updated on every stage of the project and we are happy with the progress of the project. We hope the contractor will be unveiled soon,” Chigoga said.
Wanderers were allocated land near Soche Technical College whereas Bullets got allocated a piece of land along Chikwawa Road.
Wanderers General Secretary, Victor Maunde said the club was satisfied with the progress of the project.
“There is steady progress on the project and we believe the stadium will help us improve revenue. As clubs, we spend a lot of money on hiring training pitch so the stadiums will help to save a lot of resources,” Maunde said.
In the 2019/ 20 National Budget, government allocated K1.6 billion (K800 million for each stadium) for the construction of the stadia for the two Blantyre giants who have been homeless for over 50 years.