3 electrocuted in Blantyre


Three people have been electrocuted while one is receiving treatment at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital in Blantyre after they fell on an electric wire within Chichiri Shopping Mall premises.

Blantyre Police Station spokesperson, Augustus Nkhwazi, confirmed the development but said he did not have information on particulars of those who have died.

“We received a report from one William Mauya, 48, of Nakholo Village, Traditional Authority Kaduya, in Phalombe District, who is the contractor of William General Maintenances. He contracted three casual labourers to help him replace billboards belonging to Shoprite. Unfortunately, while working, they fell on an electric wire,” Nkhwazi said.


Nkhwazi said Mauya reported to police that he does not know names of the victims.

However, one of the survivors, 31-year-old Victor Namweto, is in hospital, where he is being treated after sustaining injuries.

According to a witness, the four managed to replace two billboards and, while working on the third one, their ladder broke and they fell on an electric wire.


Meanwhile, Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi Public Relations Manager, Innocent Chitosi, has called on the public to be involving the utility body whenever they are carrying out any activity near its infrastructure.

“We are saddened by the incident that occurred but our appeal is that people should be involving us whenever they are working near our infrastructure. For instance, the line that passes through that place carries 11,000 volts, which is a lot of power; so, we should be involved so that we help each other and avoid such occurrences.” Chitosi said.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker