Advertisement
National

75% fail Nurse Midwifery Technicians examinations

Advertisement

Five hundred and one out of 669 Nursing and Midwifery Technicians from Christian Health Association of Malawi (Cham) colleges who sat the Nurses Council of Malawi examinations have failed. Only 168 have passed.

This means only 25 percent have qualified as nursing and midwifey technicians while the remaining 75 percent have not.

The technicians have since blamed the Nurses Council of Malawi for deliberating failing them in what they claim is a conspiracy to do away with nurses and midwives who are diploma holders so that only those with degrees should practice.

Advertisement

A nurse from Trinity College said the Nurses Council of Malawi has an agenda to frustrate them and dim their career prospects.

“It is surprising that Cham colleges have only registered 25 percent pass rate in the nursing and midwifery technician catergory, yet this is the group that carried out crucial work in areas shunned by health workers. I suspect that there is a deliberate move by the government to throw nurses holding diplomas out of the system because it does not want to employ nurses,” the disgruntled nurse said.

Registrar of Nurses Council of Malawi, Isabella Musisi admitted that the pass rate in Cham colleges is poor.

Advertisement

She said last year, Nursing and Midwifery, Technicians registered 15 percent pass rate and this year the pass rate is at 25 percent.

“Out of 958 students from Cham colleges sat for the October 2016 examinations, 398 have passed, representing a 42 percent pass rate. The results of Nursing and Midwifery Technicians is discouraging but the Council is working on the challenges to ensure that next time this group should reach 95 percent pass rate,” Musisi said.

President of National Organisation of Nurses and Midwives, Dorothy Ngoma, expressed concern over the results, saying the development comes at a time the country has a huge shortage of health workers.

However, Ngoma refuted allegations that it is a political move to frustrate Cham students.

“We discussed the same challenges with the [Nurses] Council [of Malawi] last year following the poor grades from Cham colleges and we expected that things will improve. Learning equipment from these colleges is inadequate, there are no enough inspectors and even the students themselves are a problem. There are many that cannot write or speak English, so how can they pass? It is not true to say it is a political move because last time I saw their scripts, they were poor,” explained Ngoma.

The country needs about 40,000 nurses and midwives to accommodate the population of about 17 million Malawians.

So far, the country has 12,000 nurses and only about 5,000 work in government institutions. This represents a shortage of 60 percent.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Advertisement
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker