The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) employees have received a nine percent additional salary increment which will date back to October 2014.
The announcement was made yesterday afternoon after the employees went on strike again on Tuesday morning following government’s failure to communicate to them about the fate of their salary increment.
After the announcement, the employees went back to work and there was no sign of a strike at their Blantyre offices.
ACB Senior Public Relations Officer, Egrita Ndala, confirmed the development.
“We have accepted the increment not because we are happy but just to serve the public interest. The financial year is already going to an end so we are hoping for the best in the next financial year,” she said.
Ndala also said the employees will still keep in touch with government to discuss this issue, adding that the nine percent increment is an addition to the initial 10 percent they got last year, which means in the current financial year (2014/2015), they got a 19 percent salary hike.
She added that the increment goes to all employees of ACB regardless of their grade or position.
In December 2014, ACB employees went on strike demanding a 70 percent salary increment after they were offered a 10 percent raise.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues