Despite festivals feeling the heat of financial problems, Blantyre Arts Festival (BAF) has said the festival is still on this year.
BAF Executive Director , Thom Chibambo , confirmed Tuesday that the festival is on without fail and that they will communicate the dates shortly.
“Blantyre Arts Festival is on this year and people should not at all doubt. We will be coming back to announce the dates,” said Chibambo.
BAF, which started in 2009 and is one of the biggest festivals in the country, held annually was last year held at Blantyre Cultural Centre with South Africa’s gospel singer Rebecca Malope as the headliner.
“As always we usually hold the festival the first weekend of October but I can assure people that the festival is there and we have the sponsors,” said Chibambo.
Apart from BAF, another festival , Lake of Stars, has already announced that it will hold its event in September.
Recently Solomonic Peacocks came out to announce that the Easter Theatre Festival which debuted last year will not take place due to inadequate funding.
Solomonic Peacocks Director, McArthur Matukuta, said the festival has failed to raise enough money to run the festival this year and that they will thus hold it next year.
Sources have indicated that several festivals are under threat following the economic challenges which are forcing some donors to pull out.
“We have some international donors who have been assisting some festivals all these years but with economic challenges, many are pulling out and this has put many festivals in a fix,” said the source.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues