The Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture says it has finalised all processes to hand over the site to contractors for the commencement of work on Nyasa Big Bullets and Be Forward Wanderers stadiums.
Ministry of Sports spokesperson, Simon Mbvundula confirmed the development yesterday saying construction might start before the end of the month.
“We are planning to hand over the site to contractors on Monday next week. It is our hope that by weekend, we will finalise all logistical arrangements for the handover,” Mbvundula said.
Last month, the ministry identified contractors for the project. China Civil Engineering Construction Company emerged successful bidders for the Bullets stadium whereas Wanderers stadium will be constructed by Anhui Foreign Economic Construction (Group) Company. Anhui constructed Bingu National Stadium (BNS) in Lilongwe which was officially opened in 2017 as Flames under-23 drew 2-2 with Chinese side Guangzhou R& F.
In an interview Friday, Wanderers General Secretary, Victor Maunde said they were anxiously waiting for commencement of work.
“As Wanderers, we are grateful that there is good progress and it is our hope that construction will start very soon,” Maunde said.
Bullets Chief administrator, Albert Chigoga was not readily available yesterday.
The two Blantyre giants have been homeless for over 50 years and they use government-owned Kamuzu Stadium as their home ground for TNM Super League and cup games.
Government gets 25 percent of gate revenue at the end of every football match in all competitions.
Parliament approved K1.6 billion for the construction of the two stadia in the 2019/20 National Budget but the project would cost K6 billion.