Advertisement
Sports

Brian Mwando’s bout stopped

Advertisement

MALAWI Professional Boxing Control Board (MPBCB) has rescinded its decision to sanction Brian Mwando’s middleweight title defence fight against Christopher Yusuf Dilla.

Mwando was due to face Dilla on Sunday at the recently built Robin’s Park Multipurpose Hall in Zomba but the board, following criticism from some boxing promoters, decided against sanctioning the fight.

Among other things, the board was criticised for letting Mwando choose a weaker opponent at the expense of number one, two or three contenders.

Advertisement

Mulanje Last Boxing Promotions Managing Director, Mike Chitenje, said the board would have lost direction if they had sanctioned the fight.

“For a non-title fight it does not matter for a boxer to pick any opponent whether weak or tough. However, when the board allowed the fight in the first place, it meant that they were following an appeasement policy. All over the world, it is the number one contender that is given the first option. In this case, Chikondi Makawa was the number one contender who was supposed to face Mwando.

“The integrity and credibility of the board will be put into question when they entertain such bouts,” he said.

Advertisement

MPBCB spokesperson, Frank Chibisa, confirmed cancelling the fight because Mwando’s camp did not fulfil requirements.

“Firstly, both Mwando and his stable, Alufandika Boxing Promotions, did not renew their licences. Secondly, Dilla does not have a licence with us. Thirdly, Mwando and his stable were supposed to select either contender one, two or three for the title defence and it never happened,” he said.

Mwando’s promoter, Robin Alufandika, said they were baffled by the board’s decision.

“They should have advised us earlier that we needed to renew our licences. We don’t like media wars but, as a respectable board, they were supposed to update us on events because we have spent a lot of money. For instance, it was not deliberate that we picked Dilla. We settled for him because some of the possible contenders, such as Felix Mwamaso, were serving mandatory rest period after suffering knockouts recently,” he said.

Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker