Caf, WHO clear Guinea to host Flames
Confederation of African Football (Caf) and World Health Organisation (WHO) have cleared Guinea to host the Flames in Conakry despite the resurfacing of the Ebola outbreak that has already claimed four lives.
Responding to an enquiry from Caf on the matter, Director for Health Security and Emergencies at WHO Regional Office for Africa, Dr. Soce Fall, said the new threats have not affected the Guinean capital.
The message reads: “Many thanks for your message! The cases are in Nzerekore in the forest area do not pose a threat top holding match in Conakry. There is no travel restriction to Conakry.”
Football Association of Malawi (Fam) had written Caf after getting reports of the resurfacing of the outbreak in the West African country.
The association’s Competitions and Media Manager Gomezgani Zakazaka expressed relief with the assurance and said the match will go ahead.
“We can never doubt an assurance coming from WHO. Last time they are the ones who issued the travel ban in countries ravaged by the outbreak. So if anything, they are the ones to advise on what we should do,” Zakazaka explained.
He however empasised that the Flames would take all the precautionary measures to avoid contracting the virus, saying they could not take anything for granted.
The Flames line up against their hosts at the 26 September Stadium on Friday from 1800 hrs Malawi time.
Guinea will be playing their first match at home after a ban on large gatherings and travel was lifted after WHO officially declared the country Ebola-free.
The team was playing its home matches in Morocco.
News of the outbreak resurfacing spread like wildfire from Friday, prompting fears that the match could be moved to a neutral venue.
Four deaths have been reported so far from the outbreak caused by the highly contagious virus.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues