Advertisement
InternationalSports

Cameroon minister hopeful Olembe Stadium can host games again

Advertisement

Cameroon’s sports ministry is hopeful the Olembe Stadium can host matches again at the Africa Cup of Nations after filing its report into Monday’s fatal crush to the Confederation of African Football (Caf).

Eight supporters, including an eight-year-old boy, lost their lives outside the stadium on Monday ahead of Cameroon’s win over Comoros.

The ministry has adopted a raft of measures, including a ban on children under 11 attending games, it believes will enhance safety.

Advertisement

“We filed the report on Friday and now we are waiting,” Narcisse Mouelle Kombi told BBC Sport Africa.

Caf has previously said it would not consider using Yaounde’s Olembe Stadium, earmarked to host a semi-final and the final itself, until it received the report.

The BBC has asked Caf if it has received the report but has yet to hear back.

Advertisement

Kombi announced extensive additional measures on Friday night, as he outlined where he believed errors had been made and what improvements can be made.

“We have good hopes [Olembe can be used again] given the fact we have gone beyond what Caf required from us; so, we are convinced the original schedule for Olembe will be reinstated,” Kombi, who heads up the local organising committee, said.

“We hope [the semi-final can be played at Olembe] but in any case, the final must be played there.”

In addition to the tragedy that took place outside Olembe’s main southern entrance, there were security breaches at the turnstiles themselves.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker