Advertisement
National

Cholera cases hit 24 in Nkhata Bay

Advertisement

Just a week after 13 cases of cholera were reported in Nkhatabay, 11 more new cases have been registered over the weekend raising the number to 24.

According to Spokesperson for the District Health Office (DHO) Christopher Singini, out of the 11, 10 are from around the district headquarters while one is at Usisya but no death has been reported.

Singini said in an interview on Sunday that just like it was reported in Karonga, Nkhatabay too lack all the necessary supplies to manage the cases but however said well-wishers have started coming forward with some help.

Advertisement

He however, attributed the rise in the cases to communities’ negligence to abide by principles of proper personal hygiene and sanitation.

“After the first cases we have been going round the communities to sensitise people on the outbreak with the aim of controlling further spread of the infection but it is unfortunate that other people do not take heed of the advice we are giving out thereby leading to more infections,” said Singini.

Adding: “It is paramount for us that we control and prevent any new infections because supplies for care, management and treatment of the disease might not be adequate should we have many cases needless to mention that some well-wishers have already helped us with food items for the skeleton staff who are taking care of the situation day and night at the camp.”

Advertisement

And in response to the rising trend of the outbreak, senior officials from government departments in the district on Saturday afternoon carried out a cleaning exercise in some strategic places of the town.

Led by District Commissioner (DC) Alex Mdooko, Magistrate Billy Ngosi and DHO Albert Mkandawire, the officers carried out the activity to demonstrate to members of the community how clean their surroundings should be if the cholera outbreak should be put in check.

In his address to the people who witnessed the exercise at the town’s market square, Mdooko stressed on the need for households to take responsibility in maintaining proper hygiene standards at all critical times of their day-to-day activities in order to fight the infectious diarrheal disease.

This comes after Health Minister Peter Kumpalume was last week faulted for misinforming the general public on how government is managing and what it thinks are the causes for the worsening situation in Machinga district where about nine deaths have been reported.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker