Council of Southern Africa Football Associations (Cosafa) executive committee is expected to meet on Thursday to determine whether to hold 2020 tournaments.
“Indeed we are meeting through a zoom conference on Thursday to determine the impact of Covid-19 on Cosafa events. Already two tournaments [Under 17 ladies and senior men’s] have failed to take place,” said Cosafa’s Deputy General Secretary and Competition manager Suzgo Nyirenda,
However, he expressed doubt if this year’s tournaments will still take place due to the rise of Covid-19 cases.
Everything has been disrupted. We are not sure when the borders will be opened and if football will be played in all the member associations. Its business unusual and we are crossing our fingers if any tournament will take place between October and December,” Nyirenda said.
However, the former Football Association of Malawi (Fam) General Secretary said the meeting will among other things fix the tournaments programme that will run from 2020 to 2022.
Meanwhile, Malawi national football team head coach Meck Mwase, said he was eagerly following Cosafa developments fearing that his charges could stay idle for the whole year.
“I am waiting for our return to the field of play. A lot is happening as of now. I am worried that this year we can end up without playing,” Mwase said.
Last year Malawi lost to host South Africa 4-5 on post-match penalties in a Cosafa Plate final.