Court stops Chanco’s re-admission exercise
Chancellor College (Chanco) students have obtained an injunction restraining the college administration from readmitting all the students to the college.
Chanco administration planned to re-admit all its students to the college upon payment of a K1,500 fee and filling of re-admission forms when it opened on Monday, September 12, 2016.
In a letter addressed to all the students, Students Union of Chancellor College (Succ) President, Silvester Ayuba James, said the High Court granted the students an injunction stopping the college administration from implementing the readmission of the students
“This means that no one should submit any form, pay any money or write any report whatsoever,” reads the letter in part.
James confirmed in an interview that the students obtained the injunction against the planned readmission.
“What it meant was that all the students had been expelled from the college so we went to court to challenge that by way of obtaining an injunction,” he said.
James said the injunction is going to greatly help the students in their studies.
“We are now free from the conditions which the college administration imposed on us. Some students who could not raise the re-admission fees will be attending classes and we will all be enjoying our right [to education],” he said.
James said that progress of the case will go the students’ way saying the students did not do anything warranting that all of them be dismissed from the college.
Chanco administration closed the college on July 19, 2016 following protests against the university fee hike which turned violent.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues