The number of confirmed Coronavirus cases in the country has risen to five following the confirmation of another case in Blantyre, the Cabinet Committee on Coronavirus said yesterday.
Chairperson of the committee, Jappie Mhango, could however not indicate the exact location in Blantyre where the recent diagnosed patient resides for what he described as fear of stigmatisation.
Briefing reporters in Lilongwe, Mhango said the case was confirmed at the College of Medicine Laboratory on Sunday.
Mhango said, so far, four of the confirmed cases are in stable condition while one is in critical condition.
He said two of the cases are below the ages of 20 as one is 11 and the other is 19.
Mhango said the government is putting in place all the necessary measures to ensure that the spread of the virus is contained.
He said the government has budgeted the fight against coronavirus at K128.7 billion, adding that so far Treasury has already released K2.4 billion out of which K1.1 billion has already been allocated to local councils.
In a statement Monday, the National Anti-Corruption Alliance warned against abuse of funds meant for fighting Coronavirus.
The alliance said they have learned from previous disasters that even in times of crisis, there are people who aim to profit from others’ misfortune.
“Already, there are rumours making rounds on social media that the First Lady’s charity, the Beam Trust, is implicated in a K1billion scam in relation to this pandemic. We urge the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) to immediately institute an investigation into this alleged scam.
“Corruption, if left unchecked, will undermine our response to the pandemic and deprive our people of the much-needed preventive and curative healthcare,” reads a statement signed by the alliance Chairperson, Moses Mkandawire.
But Information Minister, Mark Botomani, brushed aside the rumours describing them as blue lies.
Botomani said since the committee started meeting, they have never pocketed a single penny in form of allowances.