Cyclone Freddy impact: Government extends schools’ suspension
Ministry of Education has announced that physical classes in the 10 districts that have been hit by Cyclone Freddy will remain suspended for the rest of this term.
The second term was supposed to close on March 31, 2023.
In a statement signed by Principal Secretary Chikondano Mussa, the ministry said classes will resume on April 17, 2023 when third term begins.
“The rapid assessment of schools that the ministry has conducted in the affected districts shows that most structures such as classrooms and toilets are unsafe, hence the need for certification before learners can be brought to school, ” reads part of the statement.
The statement further indicates that learners who are to sit for national and international examinations should return to school on March 27, 2023.
During the period, the ministry says it will put in place learner targeted radio and online lessons. Education rights advocate Benedicto Kondowe has urged the government to devise ways of ensuring that the right to education is not infringed during the period.
“It is a decision that requires steady planning and action in terms of ensuring that they ease learning in the affected districts.
“Are there alternatives that will allow learners have education during this period? We are hearing of online and radio lesson, do we have capacity to implement that?” Kondowe said.
Government suspended classes in the 10 districts for the whole of last week in response to the cyclone.
Recently schools in Blantyre and Lilongwe were also temporarily suspended at the peak of the cholera pandemic.