The much awaited TNM Super League Blantyre derby between Nyasa Big Bullets and Be Forward Wanderers has been shifted from January 2 to a later date.
Sulom Vice General Secretary Zacharia Nyirenda said, due to unforeseen circumstances, the Blantyre would either be played late February or in March.
“Much as we wanted the derby to be played on January 2 we have been forced to change because of circumstances beyond our control. We already communicated this with the clubs,” he said.
There were fears the derby could be played behind closed doors following restrictions from Presidential Taskforce on Covid-19 limiting public gatherings to 100 people.
However, some musicians obtained an injunction stopping the government from implementing the directive which also allowed Sulom to accommodate supporters at stadia.
Earlier on Wanderers Chairperson Simon Sikwese said the giants could not play such a big game without supporters.
Meanwhile, Wanderers General Secretary Victor Maunde has said they received a revised fixture indicating that the derby had been shifted to March.
“We are in possession of a new fixture and we got it last week,” he said.
Meanwhile, Sulom has encouraged teams to send their players and other members for Covid-19 tests once they show symptoms.
Nyirenda made the remarks in reference to Bullets, who send four members including two players, for Covid-19 tests.
The People’s Team striker Hassan Kajoke and goalkeeper Ernest Kakhobwe have been put in self-isolation after testing positive whereas Team Manager James Chilapondwa and Welfare Manager Chisomo Chikwembani were cleared.
Nyirenda said they were on guard monitoring that all stakeholders were following the guidelines at different venues.
“We applaud every stakeholder who is following the guidelines,” he said.
Peter Fote is a Sports Journalist with huge experience in radio and Television reporting, production and presentation. He once worked with Malawi Broadcasting Corporation (MBC) and is currently working for Times Media Group.