Former Malawi Young Pioneers (Ex-MYPs) are reluctant to end their year-long vigil at the Memorial Tower in Lilongwe despite the completion of a physical verification exercise of all the unpaid members across the country.
The government last month engaged the National Audit Office (NAO) and the Anti-Corruption Bureau to conduct the exercise to accommodate those who failed to access payment of their terminal benefits due to lack of proper documentation.
But while expressing satisfaction with the outcome of the exercise, the group’s leader, Franco Chilemba, Sunday maintained that members of the group would remain at the Memorial Tower until they receive their dues.
“Only those who are dealing with issues of deceased [workers] have been sent back home. As you know, the procedure of paying the deceased is done at councils,” he said.
Treasury spokesperson, Davis Sado, said the verification exercise was completed.
He added that the Ministry of Finance, Economic Planning and Development awaits a report from NAO. The report will guide government officials before making any payment.
Sado said those who failed to produce proper documentation went through interviews with the help of the group’s leadership to ascertain the authenticity of their claims.
The group has been holding a vigil since July 2017, demanding that the government should release payment of K1.6 billion as their terminal benefits.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues