Advertisement
International

Guinea to move to civilian rule in three years

Advertisement

The head of Guinea’s military government has announced the country will return to civilian rule after a 39-month transition period.

Speaking on television, Col Mamady Doumbouya said the proposal would now be put to Guinea’s parliament.

His army ousted the elected president in a coup last year—a move many Guineans initially welcomed.

Advertisement

But there has been growing discontent as the military junta has failed to hand over power to civilian rule.

The announcement came after the regional bloc of West African nations, Ecowas, set last Monday as a deadline for the army to give its timeline – or face immediate sanctions.

The deadline was missed but the junta asked for more time and said it was considering a transition period of between 18 and 52 months.

Advertisement

On Saturday, Col Doumbouya said the 39-month period—three years and three months—was the “median proposal”.

Guinea’s National Transition Council (CNT), an 80-member body set up after the coup to act as a parliament, is also tasked with setting a date for the country’s next election—but is yet to do so.

Col Doumbouya has promised that no one taking part in the interim government, including himself, will be allowed to stand in future elections that will determine the next civilian government.

In September 2021, the army overthrew and detained president Alpha Condé, 84, accusing him of rampant corruption and human rights abuses. Condé had become increasingly unpopular after he changed the constitution so he could stand for a third term as president..—BBC

Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker