Advertisement
Sports

IBF courts Isaac Chilemba

Advertisement

Malawian World Boxing Council (WBC) number one contender, Isaac Chilemba, has been offered a similar position by International Boxing Federation (IBF).

The development means Chilemba will have a shot at IBF world title, but he has to make a decision to accept or decline the offer by tomorrow.

But the boxer is now in a dilemma since WBC already announced that he will be the first name down when a final eliminator is announced to eventually fight champion Adonis Stevenson for the title.

Advertisement

This means Chilemba has two opportunities to fight in a world title and he has to decide which one to pick.

According to worldboxingnews. com, last week boxers Bernard Hopkins and Artur Beterbiev were named by the IBF to compete in a contest for a mandatory shot at Sergey Kovalev, although promoter Yvon Michel explained that only one of those offered accepted the fight.

“The American Bernard Hopkins (IBF #3) did not respond to the invitation for the IBF eliminator against Artur Beterbiev (IBF #2). The Swede Erik Skoglund (IBF #4) also refused the invitation,” Michel told World Boxing News.

Advertisement

“Next on the list is Isaac Chilemba (IBF #5) of Malawi. He has until Tuesday, August 11th at 5pm to respond to the invitation, although Artur accepted all three invitations in question.”

Chilemba, however, said he had not yet been officially approached by IBF.

“The first time I heard about it was when I read the article today. At the moment we are waiting to hear news regarding the WBC eliminator, although nothing has yet been decided,” he said.

Should Chilemba ultimately decide against the Beterbiev fight by today, the next three in line are Andrzej Fonfara, Seanie Monaghan and Jean Pascal.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker