South Africa based Malawi pugilist Isaac Chilemba has put on hold his retirement plans after Malawi Boxing Control Board (MPBCB) asked him to continue fighting.
Chilemba announced his retirement after losing to Russian Pavel Silyagin on unanimous decision in a WBC Silver super middleweight contest on November 26 last year in Russia.
However, Chilemba said he had changed his mind after consulting his family, relatives and MPBCB.
“My resolution is to gain the fire to fight again, win a world title then retire. Get my gym going and work out the plan I have with boxing there back at home. I think I will do it [fight] for one more year,” he said.
Golden Boy, as Chilemba is known, said he will outline detailed plans later.
MPBCB President Lonzoe ‘Defector’ Zimba said they were delighted that the 33-year-old boxer had rescinded his decision.
“As I said earlier we felt that he made the decision out of frustration after losing the fight. We have been talking with him and we feel he has a lot to offer. Now the onus is on everyone to support him to realise his dream,” Zimba said.
Zimba said they urged Chilemba to continue fighting because he was a role model to a lot of boxers.
“We need him to motivate youngsters who look up to him,” he said.
Chilemba’s career spans over two decades with a record of 26 wins, including eight defeats and three draws.
In his last outing, Chilemba weighed 77.5kgs instead of 76.2kgs to fail to qualify for a super middleweight category.
As a result Chilemba was ineligible for a title fight even though the fight went ahead.
The Malawian was only entitled to his contractual offer. If he had won, he could not have received the belt.
Chilemba is the biggest boxing star to have emerged from Malawi boxing after Drake Thadzi who settled in Canada in the late 1980s.