Advertisement
National

Joyce Banda’s aide, police trade barbs over robbery

Advertisement

Police have accused former president Joyce Banda and her locally based aides for failing to cooperate with the service thus impeding investigations into the robbery that occurred at Banda’s private residence in Chintheche last week.

Spokesperson for Nkhatabay Police Ignatius Esau said on Wednesday that there is minimal progress on the probe because no one from Banda’s side is coming forward to provide detailed information on what was contained in the house in order to establish exactly what was lost.

“We would have loved if the former president or somebody close came to us and listed the items she left in the house so that we can identify the lost ones and their value. Otherwise in our intelligence, we don’t think someone can break into such high profile house and go away with beddings, music system and utensils as currently believed,” said Esau.

Advertisement

He however disclosed that they managed to recover kitchen utensils, medical drugs and detergents which were found at the house of a renowned criminal in the district Ian Khumalo, 45, who is currently at large.

But Banda’s spokesperson Andekuche Chanthunya trashed the law enforcers’ claims saying they are trying to find excuses for failing their job.

“Someone with details travelled to Chintheche and gave an account of all the property which was contained in the house and what is missing, perhaps there is something we don’t know that the police are looking for, otherwise they shouldn’t cook excuses,” he explained.

Advertisement

Last week Chanthunya said the robbery is a direct consequence of government’s failure to provide Banda with befitting security detail let alone an official residence as part of her privileges package being a former head of state.

But government’s spokesperson Patricia Kaliati yesterday bashed Chanthunya’s sentiments saying it makes no sense to raise Banda’s security concerns while she is abroad when she and her team failed to cooperate with government in identifying her desirable official residence a year ago.

“The nation is aware that government made a number of offers to the former president but she turned all of them down saying they were not befitting enough, even when we asked them to identify a place where we can provide her all the security they failed to do that,” said Kaliati.

“Government is keen at upholding the constitution and we are ready to provide all the benefits and privileges befitting any former president, unless you tell me that she sneaked into the country without our knowledge and then she was robbed. Let her come back home and see if we will not live to what the constitution stipulates,” she added.

Currently, watchman at the compound 60 year old Numeri Mwale remains in custody waiting for charges.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker