Advertisement
National

K51.6 billion for post-disaster needs assessment

Advertisement

Malawi’s Post-Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA), a full recovery and reconstruction programme launched mid this year following the damage caused by the January 2015 floods and torrential rains, has caught donors’ attention who have so far pumped in at least K 51.6 billion.

President Peter Mutharika launched the programme which indicates that the country needs about K215 billion ($494 million) to fully recover from the ordeal.

Total damage and losses from the disaster, according to the report, are estimated at K146 billion (US$324.4 million) while the disaster’s impact on the country’s economy is pegged at K15.9 billion (US$35.3 million).

Advertisement

Department of Disaster Management Affairs Communications Officer, Jeremiah Mphande, indicated that the World Bank and the European Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) have so far funded the recovery programme.

‘The World Bank provided US$80 million to support the recovery and reconstruction process,” indicated Mphande.

The money, Mphande explained, is meant for a four-year recovery plan that will be carried out in phases. He, however, could not say how the money would be split and could not specify the said phases.

Advertisement

“The European Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) who supported six NGOs and UN Agencies working in the affected areas by providing € 1.4 million for immediate relief have also provided € 2.8 million for Malawi for early recovery and rehabilitation activities,” said Mphande.

The money is part of a €5 million grant for three disaster affected countries including Malawi, Madagascar, and Mozambique.

Mphande explained that at the moment seven selected United Nations and non- governmental organisations have already started implementing the recovery and rehabilitation activities in the affected districts from under ECHO support.

UNDP, Mphande said, would shortly contribute US$1 million to the department towards the recovery process.

Floods hit Malawi in January 2015 that caused extensive damage to life and property prompting Mutharika to declare half of the country a disaster zone. The floods claimed 106 lives, affected million people and displaced 230 000.

Government conducted a comprehensive assessment between February 18 and March 7 this year in collaboration with the European Union and the United Nations with support from the World Bank.

Commissioner for Department of Disaster Management Affairs, Paul Chiunguzeni, indicated that the assessment was aimed at building an evidence-based recovery plan that would identify the impact of the disaster on individuals, households, communities and national assets.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker