Knockout Suicide title fight ends in draw


National super lightweight champion Hannock ‘Hard Knock’ Phiri defended his belt under confusing circumstances as his fight against South Africa based compatriot Dennis Mwale ended in a majority draw.

Staged at Kamuzu University Health Sciences (Kuhes) Sports Complex on Friday night, the ‘Knockout Suicide’ boxing bill ended prematurely in the ninth round.

This came after Mwale sustained a cut close to his left eye following an accidental elbow from Phiri in the eighth round.


Ringside doctors were called to treat Mwale and after some minutes the bout resumed. In the ninth round, both exchanged punches but Mwale’s started bleeding again from the cut.

After assessing the injury, the doctor recommended that the fight should not proceed as the injury was a risk to Mwale’s life.

According to the rules, the bout had gone beyond round three therefore they had to use the scorecards to determine the winner.


Two judges declared the bout as a draw while one gave it to Mwale. Therefore, the contest was declared a draw based on majority judgement.

Referee Mbachichi Nyirenda, who handled the game professionally, said they applied rules to determine the results.

“You might recall at some point I had to deduct points from Hannock for a foul and I notified both camps and the judges. I also did the same when Mwale sustained an injury from an elbow. Being a foul I notified both camps in case of eventualities.

“Following doctors’ advice that the fight could not proceed due to the cut, we had to refer to the scoring cards where two judges scored it a draw and one gave it to Mwale. In boxing majority rules that is how we came with the verdict. We could not declare the fight a no-contest as the bout had gone beyond the third round,” he said.

Phiri said his counterpart chickened out.

“I have won because I still have my belt. He talked a lot but I have shown him that in Malawi regardless of limited resources we are the best,” he said.

Mwale said he lost his game-plan after developing temper due to constant fouls.

“He was hitting me in areas where we are not supposed to hit each other. Imagine, he continuously punched the back of my head. This is sport and life must come first,” he said.

In the main supporting fight, Chikondi Makawa stopped Samuel Tsaba in the round with a technical knockout during the middleweight non-title clash.

In another entertaining fight, Byson ‘Fuso Fighter’ Gwayani lost to Dzaleka based DR Congo boxer Regen Champion on unanimous decision.

Former World Boxing Forum welterweight champion Agness Mtimaukanena bounced back into the ring after a five-year break in convincing fashion to defeat Lucy Macho on unanimous points.

Clifford Antafu defeated Lyton Kabumeko on unanimous points while Mphatso Metauzu beat Sakina Ibrahim on points.

Kuhes organised the ‘knockout suicide’ boxing bill to discourage people from committing punches.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker