Advertisement
National

Linda Kunje, driver found with case to answer

Advertisement

By Tiyese Monjeza

The Zomba Chief Resident Magistrate Court Monday ruled that former Malawi Electoral Commission com­missioner Linda Kunje and driver Jones Tewesa have criminal recklessness and negligence cases to answer.

The two are accused of obstructing President Lazarus Chakwera’s convoy in De­cember last year, when the President was on his way from Blantyre to Zomba to preside over the graduation ceremony of University of Malawi students.

Advertisement

According to correspond­ing evidence from seven wit­nesses who testified in the case, the two, who were trav­elling in a Toyota Prado, reg­istration number MG148AK, did not pave the way for the convoy despite being ordered to do so on three separate oc­casions by police traffic offi­cers who were manning the M5 Road.

In his ruling, Chief Res­ident Magistrate Austin Banda said he had found that the two had cases to answer.

Kunje’s lawyer Chris­topher Masanje told The Daily Times that they were ready to enter defence in the case.

Advertisement

“The progress of the case has been impressive and we will surely prepare to prove that my client is innocent,” Masanje said.

Tewesa and his lawyer Timothy Chirwa were not present in court after duly notifying the court.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker