By Tiyese Monjeza
The Zomba Chief Resident Magistrate Court Monday ruled that former Malawi Electoral Commission commissioner Linda Kunje and driver Jones Tewesa have criminal recklessness and negligence cases to answer.
The two are accused of obstructing President Lazarus Chakwera’s convoy in December last year, when the President was on his way from Blantyre to Zomba to preside over the graduation ceremony of University of Malawi students.
According to corresponding evidence from seven witnesses who testified in the case, the two, who were travelling in a Toyota Prado, registration number MG148AK, did not pave the way for the convoy despite being ordered to do so on three separate occasions by police traffic officers who were manning the M5 Road.
In his ruling, Chief Resident Magistrate Austin Banda said he had found that the two had cases to answer.
Kunje’s lawyer Christopher Masanje told The Daily Times that they were ready to enter defence in the case.
“The progress of the case has been impressive and we will surely prepare to prove that my client is innocent,” Masanje said.
Tewesa and his lawyer Timothy Chirwa were not present in court after duly notifying the court.