Linda Kunje’s ‘convoy’ case adjourned
By Tiyese Monjeza:
The Senior Resident Magistrate Court in Zomba Friday adjourned to a later date a case in which Malawi Electoral Commission (Mec) Commissioner Linda Kunje and his driver Jones Tewesa are answering charges of criminal reckless and negligence.
The case originated from an incident on the M3 road along the Zomba-Blantyre road where the two are said to have obstructed President Lazarus Chakwera’s convoy when the President was on his way to preside over a graduation ceremony at Chancellor College in Zomba on December 10 last year.
The two then handed themselves over to Eastern Region Police following a manhunt by the law enforcers.
Senior Resident Magistrate Hellen Chitsanzo granted them bail on December 17.
This was after defence lawyer, Chimwemwe Kalua had applied for their release as the State was yet to conclude investigations on the case.
On Friday, Eastern Region Prosecutor Luis Makiyi applied to the court to adjourn the case on grounds that Kalua was sick and as such he could not make it to court.
“After communicating with the defence prior to the court proceeding, lead lawyer Kalua notified us that he is ill. So we made a plea that the court could not commence trial. We will be waiting for the defence team to notify the court when Kalua recovers so that the court can set a new date for the case,” Makiyi said.
Kunje was not in court Friday while Tewesa was present.
Meanwhile, there are changes to the case as Tewesa made a notice of appointment to the court that he will be represented by lawyer Timothy Chirwa.
He was previously represented by Kalua.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues