Advertisement
ColumnsNewsOpinion & Analysis

Mindset Change: Our creed is greed

Advertisement

Humanity has lost the human face. While long ago our ancestors used to gather cattle, cows and more domestic animals, we have an insatiable appetite to gather more cars, houses and money more than we need.

We are lost in the primitive accumulation of resources that we do not need. Many have houses that they never sleep in, cars they never drive, food that they do not eat as they long lost the appetite.

Yet poverty is ravaging in our midst and it is alive and well.

Advertisement

The type of leadership that leads economic thinking, be it in the private sector or not, is lost in economics that has no human face. It does not need an empirical formula to prove that in most corporate bodies, the top 10 percent earn more than the remaining 90 percent workforce. If we are to analyse the wage bills of corporate bodies, it is well evident that it is almost like that 90 percent are in the whims of corporate slavery whereby they are nothing but sculptors of the wealth and comfort of the top 10 percent executives. There can no best way to express this than greed or to be precise voodoo economics.

In normal sense, economics centres mainly on making appropriate choices on allocating scarce resources to satisfy the people’s unlimited needs. It is apparent therefore that we are allocating a great chunk of the scarce resources to the wealthy at the expense of the ‘have nots’ that work hard but still languish in the dark and desolate dungeon of abject poverty.

We are practising the economics that is bent at towards creating the super rich elite, shrinking to the bone the middle class, and drenching the majority lower class further down into the hopeless quagmire of excruciating poverty. We are practising romanticised economics that profess percentages and formulae and economic jargons that are no relevant to the living standards of the little paid people. This is discriminatory economics.

Advertisement

What has happened to humanity? We should no longer pretend to be surprised therefore that there is a growing gap between the rich and the poor in the country.

The genesis is so simple, the rich and top powerful executives have silently conspired to push the poor onto the edges of poverty through implementation of wealth sharing formula that is unequal, unethical, unjustifiable but only supported by the doctrine of greed. Now is the time we ask ourselves the most uncomfortable questions and answer them soberly.

The recent research by Oxfam that reveals that the richest 1 percent in the world have wealth more that the remaining 99 percent brings to light the fact that we are sacrificing humanity of the cross of greed. Why is it that we have the guts and economic thinking to raise the salary of all workforce in a company say by 10 percentage on the consideration that such is the cost of living.

This is betrayal economics. The 10 percent of a top executive or director who earns K2 million is K200,000.00 yet his or her messenger or guard who earns K50,000 will only see a raise of K5,000. Are we indeed realistic in our thinking that a top executive has his or her needs in the K200,000 raise range a month while a labourer only requires a K5,000 salary raise?

We should not be surpised therefore that it is the very same people who will keep on owning vehicles and houses.

They have more and will never relent from practising the economics that rob the poor dry for the comfort of the rich. Is this what education has prepared us to be? Is this the thinking that our degrees, masters and PhDs are inculcating in us? Our education has lost value and eroded our thinking through greed. Now it is evident that what we call education and cherish is mis-education for real education could have been humanistic and allow us to appreciate to do unto others what we would love them to do unto us.

Thomas Henry Huxley says, perhaps the most valuable result of education is the ability to make yourself do the things you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not. Are the educated professionals falling within that range of thinking? Are the Human Resources departments uplifting lives of the poorly and miserably paid labourers or busy skyrocketing salaries and benefits of top executives and directors?

We have created a type of governance that we can be term greedocracy – the leadership of the rich and powerful in the corporate sector whose motive is profiting on the sweat, blood and tears of others and milking them dry. These are the people who probably seek at all cost to fulfill the promise, ‘and to those that have little and even the little they have shall be taken away from them.’

We now have leaders that have lost the title of leaders and deserve being called misleaders. We now have managers that deserve being called mismanagers for all they believe in managing people is through mismanaging them as their reasoning was long lost in the intoxicating wine of greed.

All they care for is selfenrichment and aggrandizement The world will have no mercy on the greed no matter how they justify it. What legacy are we leaving behind? Upon taking our last breath, would people cry for us that we touched their souls in one way or another? Are we working towards improving the lives of the people around us? Is our education a blessing to others or a wealth widening formula?

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Advertisement
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker