Advertisement
National

More arrests expected in Reserve Bank of Malawi fraud case

Advertisement
Steve Kayuni

Wezzie Gausi:

Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Steven Kayuni has said Malawians should expect more arrests in the fraud case involving Reserve Bank of Malawi (RBM) former governor Dalitso Kubambe and three others.

Kabambe— alongside RBM former deputy governor Henry Mathanga, Rodrick Wiyo and Leah Ndonga— was arrested last year and is facing charges of abuse of office, neglect of office and money laundering emanating from an RBM forensic report.

Advertisement

When the case came before Lilongwe Chief Resident Magistrate Madalitso Chimwaza in Lilongwe on Tuesday, Kayuni told the court that the State has concluded its investigations into the matter.

According to Kayuni, who prayed for the adjournment of the case, the State is likely going to increase the number of charges in the matter.

“Our investigations are finally over and we are ready to make more arrests regarding the matter. The findings show that some people will be removed from the list while other people will be added.

Advertisement

“We have asked for 30 days to conclude all the paperwork and then the court can commence with the hearing of the case,” Kayuni said.

When the four appeared before the court in June last year, the State laid four charges against them.

In the first charge, the State said Kabambe, Mathanga, Wiyo and Ndonga abused their authority by doing an arbitrary act, to wit; paying a compensation amounting to K4.3 billion to FDH Malawi Limited without prior approval of the board of directors of the RBM, which act resulted in RBM losing the said sum of K4.3 billion, among other charges.

Chimwaza has since adjourned the case to August 12 2022.

Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker