A Blantyre firm at the centre of gate collections’ s candal involving last week’s Blantyre derby at Kamuzu Stadium, has failed to provide Super League of Malawi (Sulom) with a reconciled report.
Sulom general secretary, Williams Banda, giving an update on their investigations, on Tuesday said they rejected Joka’s initial report as it did not explain why K16 million was raised instead of K23,200,000 million.
“What we have established is that there was collusion among stakeholders. Joka is failing to give us a reconciliation of how many tickets they sold, how many remained and how did their 20 cashiers perform,” Banda explained.
“We gave them a deadline of October 4, 2015 to submit the report, but what they presented was not reconciled. We have since extended the deadline to Wednesday. If they fail again, stakeholders will meet to decide for the law to take its course.”
Joka’s director, Frank Kafumbwe, Tuesday said he was not aware of Sulom’s deadline.
“Since we started working at the stadium, no firm has done reconciliations. We just handed over the money to them. We were called for a hearing and we fully cooperated,” Kafumbwe insisted yesterday.
Meanwhile, Wanderers supporters committee secretary, Paul Mphepo and treasurer Chifuniro Chilambe, have since stepped aside after also being linked to the happenings during the revenue.
Chilambe said he is yet to be investigated and is willing to cooperate “for the truth to prevail.”
Wanderers general secretary, Mike Butao, yesterday confirmed that the duo stepped aside after some video footage captured them as supposedly being among the people who took the money to Southern Region Police Headquarters for counting.
“There were some insinuations from some quarters that some of our supporters were involved, but according to them, the box they were captured carrying did not contain money but items such as rubber bands and staples. They have not been suspended, they have stepped aside voluntarily,” Butao explained.
Joka has been asked to explain why 20,000 tickets, with 18,200 being for the open terraces pegged at K1,000 each earned just K16 million when a similar meeting between Be Forward Wanderers and Bullets raised K26.7 million.
More puzzling is the fact that while tickets run out in some gates, there was eventually an overage of K90,000.
From the 20,000 tickets, 600 selling at K2,000 were for the MBC Stand, 1,100 for Covered stands each pegged at K3,000. VIP had 100 tickets going at K5,000.
Unconfirmed reports linked Joka’s ownership to some Bullets officials. The link led to the suspension of Bullets supporters committee secretary, Mabvuto Chibambo and treasurer, Bruce Tambwali, to pave the way for investigations.
Each team pocketed K3 million from the derby, down from K7 million they received in the first round. Bullets players boycotted training for three days week in protest.
In their October 6 2015 report to Sulom, Wanderers pushed the blame to Sulom for allowing Joka to manage the collections. Bullets were the home team.
“Ownership of the company needs to be investigated and established because we are hearing rumours that it belongs to a member of the Bullets supporters committee, which would be unethical and unacceptable,” Wanderers wrote.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues