Mr. Malawi contest back October
The Weightlifting and Body Building Association of Malawi (WBAM) has announced that this year’s Mr. Malawi contest will take place on October 25 in Blantyre.
WBAM general secretary, Harold Mwayang’ana, confirmed the date in an interview on Monday.
“We want the competition to be rotating, last year, we held it in Lilongwe and this year is the turn for body building fans in Blantyre,” said Mwayang’ana.
However, he was coy on the venue for this year’s showpiece.
“We are still discussing with authorities on important logistics including the venue because we want people to enjoy watching the national stage with comfort. There are various venues that we have earmarked and Robin’s Park as one of them, but we will reveal all the details at an appropriate time,” he said.
Mwayang’ana said the association would hold district championships and the best four body builders from each of the targeted districts would automatically qualify for the national stage.
‘We will involve our regional body building committees to assist us in scrutinizing the participants. We expect to have 16 contestants for the national crown and they will come from Blantyre, Zomba, Mangochi, Lilongwe and Mzuzu where we have opted to hold the district championships,” he said.
Mwayang’ana said WBAM would make sure that this year’s Mr. Malawi event is organized professionally.
There was drama during last year’s event when Ndirande-based renowned muscular man Yasin ‘Ichocho’ Suwedi protested the results after finishing third.
Former Malawi Defence Force soldier Henry Master is the reigning holder of the Mr. Malawi title having won it for six successive years.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues