Group of musicians calling themselves Active Concerned Musicians have agreed to return to the stage despite the government’s ban on gatherings of not more than 100 people.
The musicians announced this during a press briefing held in Lilongwe on Tuesday which was also attended by musicians such as Peter Mlangeni, Marvelous Deeds, Great Angels Choir, Thocco Katimba, Wendy Harawa and Soldier Lucius Banda.
Harawa, who is the chairperson of the grouping, said yesterday that for two months musicians have complied with the ban on gatherings due to Covid-19 pandemic.
“We have complied but looking at what has been going on, we thought we should return to the stage. This is nothing political but as musicians, we survive through music, for us to feed our families, music is our survival and so we thought we should return,” she said.
The move comes barely days after some musicians also took to social media to voice out their concerns that they were struggling to make ends meet in the absence of live shows, which they depend on.
The artists also, said they wanted to return to the stage since politicians were also holding campaign rallies and not adhering to the ban on public gatherings.
“We will make sure we observe the necessary precautionary measures. As musicians, we are also a voice and so, we will use the shows to also sensitise people on the pandemic. Covid -19 pandemic,” Harawa said.
She said they would start with three big shows involving top artists later this month in Mzuzu, Lilongwe and Blantyre.
“We will only allow 100 people in these shows while observing social distance, we will provide masks and saniters and we will allow companies and individuals to make donations and sponsorship in cash or kind to help fellow musicians during this time,” the gospel musician said.
She also said that Active concerned musicians is a group that comprises of so many musicians both veterans and up and coming including Vita Chirwa, Skeffa Chimoto and Black Missionaries.
Banda, who has been in the forefront calling the government to assist musicians during this tough time and borrow a leaf from Kenya, where artists have received packages, said they will explore various possibilities.
“We will try as much to select open air venues where we are sure that people will be safe and maintain social distance. Our return will mean complying with all the necessary health measures. Every artist will also have time to hold their own shows,” the ‘Mabala’ star said.
He indicated that they consulted the necessary authorities about the move and that they have not been given feedback up to now hence coming out.
Banda has since said he will hold shows with Lulu and Mathumela Band this month end.
Katimba, said as artists they have suffered a lot and yet for politicians and other sectors, it was business as usual.
“Politicians are doing things normally and making money but for us, we can’t. We are doing shows and following everything. We are doing three shows as a team which will also act as a benchmark on the way forward,” he said.
Recently Ministry of Health Spokesperson Joshua Malango, said their stand still remains that gatherings of not more than 100 people were not allowed.
The country has so far registered 63 Covid -19 pandemic cases.