Advertisement
Sports

Netball Association of Malawi under heavy attack

Sports Council asks for clarity on reports

Advertisement
ASKED FOR CLARITY—
Ntulumbwa

It does not rain but pours for Netball Association of Malawi (Nam) as key Malawi National Netball Team players have asked the association to stop using Malawi National Council of Sports as a scapegoat for the allowance hitches.

Some Queens players boycotted camping following delays in receiving their allowance amounting to over K9 million after participating in the Africa Netball Cup and Pent Series in Namibia in November last year.

The source said they were not pressuring Nam over Sports Council’s allowances but money from FDH Bank, who sponsor both the team and Nam.

Advertisement

“It is sad that Nam is dragging Sports Council into this allowance mess. In our case, we know that things to do with the government go through Sports Council require some processes to be completed so we are not worried about that. In this case, we are asking for our money from FDH Bank. We did not get it. Our officials should stop acting up,” said one of the players.

Another player said the players went on strike because Nam was failing to fulfill the requirements that were in its agreement with FDH.

“According to the agreement, FDH tops up money. In 2020 when we went to South Africa, our former officials processed the sum but this time the officials did not. When we ask them they are always elusive,” she said.

Advertisement

Nam General Secretary Isaac Chimwala said they needed to consult if it was necessary to pay the Queens again.

“Indeed, we understand that players have an expectation to receive additional allowances from the sponsor as a top up on allowances that they already received from council.

“As rightly put before us, this expectation comes on the heels of what happened the last time they had an external trip where they were given additional allowances from the sponsor. We are still consulting on this matter and will revert once the matter is concluded,” he said.

Meanwhile, Nam faces the daunting task to explain some issues in its report which it submitted to Sports Council.

“We have seen the report and we have made some observations, we will write to Nam soon on the observations that have been made. Nam should expect funding once all the observations are addressed,” Sports Council’s spokesperson Edgar Ntulumbwa responded.

However, there was positive development yesterday as the number of players in camp rose to 20 from 4.

On Friday morning, about nine players were in camp but Chimwala said in the evening yesterday that the number had risen.

Some of the players in camp are Kukoma Diamonds quartet Jessica Mazengera- Sanudi, Tinkhani Ndhlovu, Shira Dimba and Annabel Phiri.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker