Advertisement
National

Nice drills actors in national registration

Advertisement

National Initiative for Civic Education (Nice) Trust has hailed drama as crucial for dissemination of information about the national registration of citizens.

Nice Executive Director Ollen Mwalubunju observed this in Blantyre during a day-long workshop to drill artists in national registration exercise.

Mwalubunju said some parts of the country are hard-to-reach and radio and television drama can play a crucial role in dissemination of crucial information on the exercise.

Advertisement

“Nice is a civic education organisation. We cannot do this all by ourselves and that is why we are engaging the actors, besides, research has shown that radio and television drama is the most cost-effective way of information dissemination,” he said.

Dyson Gonthi, one of the participants, hailed the training as beneficial. He said the actors were ready to civic educate the people on the importance of the exercise.

“We are ready. This is a national cause and we will help the government in information dissemination. The training has helped us to have accurate knowledge on the issue so that we in turn tell Malawians the truth,” he said.

Advertisement

National Registration Bureau (NRB) Public Relations Officer Norman Fulatira said the bureau conducted two preliminary phases to test its equipment and logistics to have a clear picture of the exercise.

Fulatira said the bureau has put in place necessary measures to ensure that only Malawians register.

He, however, called for active participation of all stakeholders if the exercise is to be successful.

“The registration is only for Malawians. People will have to be identified by their village heads as Malawians. They can also produce valid identification cards like passports, drivers’ licences and voter’s cards, if not then at least two registered people will have to vouch for their citizenship to register,” he said.

The first phase of mass registration is expected to start on May 24 to December this year.

NRB is carrying out the exercise to the tune of $50 million, 60 percent of which will come from development partners while the government will provide the remaining 40 percent.

Advertisement
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker