No more Hangover

Hangover 1 Kamuzu Barracks 4


This time around there was no drama. No giant killing antics. Absolutely no shock as Hangover succumbed to the weight of expectation inside jam-packed Mpira Stadium in Blantyre Sunday.

The Fisd Challenge Cup semi-final separated boys from men, as Hangover retreated and surrendered to rampant Kamuzu Barracks (KB).

Hangover are going home to Manase Township in Blantyre whereas KB march on to date Blue Eagles in the final on December 21 at a venue which Football Association of Malawi will decide.


A huge poster planted on the southern terraces of the stadium read: ‘Giant killers’, but there was no chance for Hangover to add KB to the list of casualties that included Be Forward Wanderers and Mighty Tigers.

KB deployed a 4-4-2 formation whereas Hangover opted for an adventurous 4-3-3 set up that exposed the minnows’ midfield which KB by-passed with long balls, direct and fast-paced play.

KB wasted no time in asserting themselves on the game, striker Fransisco Kamdzeka bundled the ball across the goalline in the 11th minute after Hangover had failed to deal with a long clearance from the visitors’ defence.


KB cushioned the lead in the 17th minute as defender Nation Harazi rose unmarked to nod into the net from Chimwemwe Chisambi’s corner kick from the right.

On the half-hour mark, KB got out of sight as Kamdzeka volleyed into the top right corner of the hosts’ goalkeeper Rahaman Julius’s net for his second.

Hangover were not yet dead and buried because Dan Matchipisa flashed his effort marginally wide of goalkeeper KB Bonage Lweya’s goal.

In reply, KB’s midfielder Harvey Mkancha fired a bullet beyond Julius in the 38th minute to make it 4-0, only for the soldiers to concede in dramatic fashion a minute later.

It all happened when KB players rushed to join their coaches on the northern side in celebrating Mkacha’s goal.

Hangover seized the opportunity, re-started play quickly with striker Brighton Gomani scoring straight from the centre circle as Lweya was nowhere in sight between the sticks.

Half-time ended with KB leading 4-1. Hopes of the Southern Region Premier Division team’s comeback proved false.

Hangover coach, MacDonald Yobe, threw more men in attack as Dan Dzinkambani Junior replaced right-back Wisdom Miyeze, Matchipisa went out for Chikondi Kandoje Jnr with Stain Pendani introduced in place of Innocent Indwa.

KB’s injured Mkacha made way for Dan Ziba before Manase Chiyesa came in for Kelvin Hanganda. However, the changes made little impact on the proceedings.

Yobe attributed the defeat to the early goals his side conceded.

“We have lost with a lot of lessons learnt. We did not play our usual game. We started slowly. We should have started the first half in the way we did in the second half,” he said.

KB mentor Temwa Msuku saluted his charges for sticking to the game-plan.

“Hangover are a good team but we did our homework. We closed all spaces and hit them on the counter attack,” he said.

To reach the semi-final, KB saw off Savenda Chitipa whereas Hangover stunned Wanderers. Whatever the case, Hangover have made a name in this year’s Fisd journey.

Hangover: Julius, Indwa (Pendame), Frank Nedi, Asuman Julius, Akanakimana Willy, Mizeye (Dzinkambani Jnr), Dan Matchipitsa (Kandoje Jnr), Robert Khwiliro, Wisdom Mpinganjira, Emmanuel Lino, Gomani.

KB: Lweya, Chisambi, Ben Issah, Sam Chibvunde, Harazi, Ndaona Daisi, Zinjani Yona (Victor Saidi), Kamdzeka, Hanganda (Chiyesa), Chikoti Chirwa, Mkacha (Ziba).

Referee: Mischeck Juwa.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker