Nyasa Big Bullets Reserve win treble

Enos Chatama

Nyasa Big Bullets Reserve claimed their third trophy of the season with a 2-1 win over Ndirande Stars in the final of Southern Region Football Association’s edition of the Nyasa Capital Finance Cup.

The match was played at Kamuzu Stadium in Blantyre Thursday.

The win came four days after Bullets Reserve successfully defended the Aubrey Dimba Trophy in Mchinji having edged Silver Reserve 1-0.


The junior People’s Team also retained the Power Start Tayale Top 8 Cup in July.

However, Bullets Reserve did not have an easy match Thursday as Ndirande Stars produced an equally scintillating performance, keeping spectators including Flames Coach Mario Marinica on the edge of their seats.

It was an entertaining affair as both sides played a free flowing passing game.


Stars showed little respect for Bullets Reserve, matching them in all the departments.

The Division One side’s captain Thoko Mpinde was lively throughout, opening up space for his defenders to start building attacks from the back. His passes were also a delight.

After a goalless first half, both sides started the second half positively in search of a goal.

Bullets Reserve broke the deadlock through Emmanuel Saviel in the 58th minute with a powerful shot from outside the box.

Chikumbutso Salima then doubled the Premier Division champions’ lead in the 80th minute with a beautiful team goal.

It emanated from Felix Demakude’s beautiful exchange of passes with MacRay Chiwaya and Franklin Titani to set up Salima for the goal.

However, the two goals did not demoralize Stars who continued fighting and netted their lone goal through Steward Kalima in added time.

But it was too little too late.

Bullets Reserve Coach Enos Chatama hailed his charges for overcoming their opponents.

“We knew that they will come hard. They sat very deep but we changed our approach in the second half to score two goals. But we gave away one,” Chatama said.

Stars Coach Simeon Kapuza said they did not utilize their chances.

“We wasted several scoring opportunities. We could have done better if we were clinical with our finishing,” Kapuza said.

In a third-place play-off, Balaka United beat Nsanje United 3-2 on post-match penalties.

This was after regulation time ended 2-2 following Nsanje’s late comeback that forced the match into penalties.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker