One more

Big Bullets sniff title after beating Mighty Tigers

Alex Ngwira

By Isaac Salima & Mphatso Malidadi:

Nyasa Big Bullets are within touching distance of a fourth consecutive TNM Super League title after a 2-0 win over Mighty Wakawaka Tigers at Mpira Stadium in Chiwembe Township, Blantyre, Wednesday.

Babatunde Adepoju netted Bullets’ first goal from the spot in the 33rd minute to enhance his chances of winning the league’s Golden Boot Award with 17 goals.


Patrick Mwaungulu scored the second goal in the second half for Bullets to put one hand on the title.

The People’s Team now needs just a point in the match against Moyale on Saturday to reclaim the championship.

The result saw Bullets open a five-point gap with second-placed Blue Eagles who were not in action Wednesday.


Bullets have 64 points from 27 matches while Eagles have collected 59 points from 28 games.

The league leaders went into the match looking for maximum points and took control for the better part of the first half.

Playing their last match of the season, Tigers sat back and allowed Bullets to take charge knowing pretty well that they had nothing to fight for.

After messing up several scoring opportunities, Bullets finally found the back of the net courtesy of Adepoju who converted a penalty awarded after Tigers’ Iven Mwakapenda fouled man-of-the-match Chimwemwe Idana in the box.

Tigers were a changed side in the last half but their efforts were in vain as they rarely troubled Bullets defence.

The match turned into a no contest after the defending champions banged in the second goal.

Adepoju did the dirty work on the left flank before curving the ball into the box where Mwaungulu made a simple tap in to put the game beyond Kau Kau’s reach.

Tigers remain fifth from the bottom with 31 points from 30 matches and should be contented with escaping relegation.

In another match played Wednesday, Mighty Mukuru Wanderers suffered a huge setback in their quest to finish on position two after going down 1-0 to Moyale Barracks at Kamuzu Stadium.

Brown Magaga’s first half goal was enough to hand the Lions of Kaning’ina victory and condemn Wanderers to their fifth league defeat this season.

Nomads goalkeeper Pilirani Mapira conceded the goal after mistiming a cross, allowing Magaga to connect home for the match’s lone goal.

The hosts seemed to have lost their cutting edge which has seen them register impressive results in recent times.

However, they improved in the second half and threatened to pull level.

At some point, the match turned into a show for Moyale goalkeeper MacDonald Harawa who thwarted several dangerous attempts from Wanderers.

He eventually finished the match without conceding and was deservedly named Man-of- The-Match.

Wanderers coach Alex Ngwira said fatigue cost them the match.

“We did not play our usual game in the first half perhaps due to fatigue. We picked up in the second half but it was too late. As things are now, chances of finishing in the top two are out of our hands,” Ngwira said.

Moyale coach Pritchard Mwansa praised his charges for sticking to the game plan.

Wanderers are fifth on the table with 50 points from 27 matches while Moyale lie on position seven having amassed 49 points from 29 assignments.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker