Malawi Under-23 National Football Team has been forced to drop some players due to lukewarm response from some teams ahead of a tri-nation tournament dubbed Tour Fanatic on March 24 in Antalya, Turkey.
The Nyasa Big Bullets duo of goalkeeper Clever Mkungula and attacker Lanjesi Nkhoma, Silver Strikers midfielder Zebron Kalima and Sable Farming midfield dynamo Innocent Msowoya will not be part of the travelling squad.
Flames Under-23 coach Patrick Mabedi and Football Association of Malawi (Fam) could not be drawn to give detailed information regarding the current situation ahead of the trip.
Fam Youth Development Officer James Sangala confirmed that the four had been left out but declined to give reasons.
“Preparations are on track despite the fact that some players, especially those from Bullets, are yet to report for training. We did medical tests on all players. It is pleasing that none of the players has tested positive for coronavirus test,” Sangala said.
He also disclosed that the coaching panel has beefed up the squad with over six players.
“We also have changes in the squad with some players being dropped and others being drafted in for assessment,” Sangala said.
He said they had called Yamikani Chaima, Fanizo Mwansambo, Hadji Wali, Emmanuel Savuyela, Chawanangwa Gumbo, Tatenda Mbalaka and Joseph Balakasi for assessment.
Meanwhile, nimble-footed Peter Banda will not be part of the squad after his Tanzanian side Simba SC declined Fam’s request to release him.
However, Georgia-based Francisco Madinga and Charles Petro of Moldovan side Sheriff Tiraspol will only join the squad in Turkey.
Fam General Secretary Alfred Gunda said they were also expecting Zambia-based Chifundo Mphasi to join the squad in Turkey.