Referee Roy Williams banned for life


National Referees Association (NRA) has banned for life First Grade referee, Roy Williams, following his failure to observe Laws of the Game, leading to the abandonment of a Presidential Cup play-off between Civo United and Masters Security FC last week.

The match was abandoned in the 28th minute with Civo leading 1-0 when chaos reigned after Masters’ goal was ruled out and Civo went on to score a second goal immediately after restart.

NRA General Secretary, Chris Kalichero, confirmed Monday that Williams had been banned for life.


“Our disciplinary committee met and found him guilty of bringing the game into disrepute. He failed to observe the laws of the game. In a referee’s profession, observing laws of the game is vital because it is a key part of protecting the lives of players,” Kalichero explained.

“If referees fail to observe the laws, they put the lives of players at risk. That was the case in that match. He should, therefore, never officiate in any match, including social football or any small league.”

Kalichero said this was the second time for Williams to get in the bad books after receiving a nine-month ban last year for a similar offence.


“The purpose of a suspension is for one to learn from mistakes. He did not learn from his mistakes, therefore, the disciplinary committee observed that it was habitual,” he said.

“Every referee should prepare for a match physically and psychologically. They should study the laws of the game all the time. Some referees are fond of drinking all night before a match. We will not condone that. We will punish any referee that fails to do his duties professionally,” he said.

Meanwhile, Williams has accused some football administrators of plotting his downfall.

When asked whether he would appeal, he said: “Just leave them. Other people want to influence others and when you do not give them room, they come for you. Football can never develop this way. I have other things to concentrate on. I will focus on other things.”

Football Association of Malawi (Fam) Competitions’ Committee, through General Secretary, Suzgo Nyirenda, ruled that the match be replayed. During the replay yesterday, Master Security beat Civo 1-0.

“The referee’s report lacked substance as to what really transpired to cause the abandonment. The referee’s report was self-contradicting as to what really caused the abandonment,” Nyirenda wrote.

Master Security were also charged of manhandling the referee, contrary to Article 27 sections nine and 10 of the Presidential Cup rules and regulations.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker