Sidik Mia speaks against violence
Malawi Congress Party (MCP) member, Sidik Mia, has said the party will not terrorise its opponents ahead of the October 17 by-elections.
The former Cabinet minister was speaking on Saturday in Lilongwe city’s Mtsiliza Ward, where he went to campaign for MCP candidate Frank Zikawola.
Addressing a crowd that gathered at Mtsiliza Primary School Ground, Mia mentioned the removal of the party’s flags and other campaign materials in Nsanje Lalanje by suspected Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) sympathisers.
On Saturday, Mia also claimed that he had been receiving death threats from unknown people since his switch to the MCP, and that he had reported the matter to police.
“Our leader, Lazarus Chakwera, stands for non-violence. We are not going to retaliate. We face intimidation in all the areas of by-elections. And it is not acceptable. That is not fair. We condemn it. We will not retaliate. Malawi Congress Party is a peaceful party and we want to remain so,” Mia said.
Mia also said the party has put in place measures to ensure that there is no rigging in the October 17 by-elections.
“We are making sure that we expose everything…Everybody now is vigilant to see that there are no irregularities. We will make sure that we put very strong monitors. They will not be able to defeat our monitors anywhere. We will put people who are responsible—who will see to it that there are no irregularities,” Mia said.
Mia, who is the chairperson of MCP campaign in Nsanje Lalanje by-elections, has expressed optimism that the party would win all seats in October 17 by-elections.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues