Advertisement
Sports

Sports Council takes on Nam

Advertisement

Malawi National Council of Sports (MNCS) has released outstanding allowances for the Malawi National Netball Team, but not without tearing Netball Association of Malawi (Nam) apart for what it calls lacking tenets of good governance.

In a statement released Friday, MNCS indicated that it has released allowances for the sake of Queens welfare. Our sources indicates that Sports Council paid K8.9 million.

“However, considering the welfare of the players, Council has resolved to pay the player bonuses notwithstanding that Nam is yet to provide responses to issues that Council raised relating to its submitted reports,” reads part of the statement, signed by Sports Council’s Board Chairperson Sunduzwayo Madise.

Advertisement

“Council is of the view that it is unfair to punish our players for failures within the administrative echelons. This has therefore been done with a view of having the best interest at the pinnacle of sports administration. At the time of issuing this statement, Council has already remitted to Nam the game bonuses due to the Queens for their participation in Namibia.”

In the same statement, MNCS grilled Nam for failure to comply with laid down procedures such as submission of reports.

“Procedurally, each affiliate is required to submit Financial, Administrative and Technical Reports after any such outing. Further and subsequent funding is only provided to such affiliate after the satisfactory submission of these reports. This is in compliance with Council’s statutory mandate and its policy of funding affiliates.

Advertisement

“In the instant case, there was a substantial delay in the submission of these reports by the Netball Association of Malawi, and even at this point, there are areas that need clarification. Council has informed Nam of its concerns and it is waiting for a response,” the statement reads.

Sports Council insisted that it could not release allowances in the absence of the reports and also grilled Nam over other irregularities.

“As a result, Council was unable to remit further funds to Nam, especially funds for the payment of bonuses. Council’s standing procedure is that bonuses are only paid after the conclusion of the games.

“Apart from the issues around the reports, Council is also in discussion with Nam regarding unbudgeted for, unapproved and unsanctioned expenses incurred by Nam related to camps for the Queens,” reads the statement.

Madise emphasized that MNCS’ decision should not in any way be construed as tacit condonation of failure by any affiliate to submit requisite reports.

“Council will continue to insist that public funds, which are provided to affiliates, are fully accounted for at all times. Council regrets any hardships that may have been occasioned to our glorious players and hopes that vital lessons have been learnt,” he stated.

MNCS Spokesperson Edgar Ntulumbwa confirmed the statement, saying the institution was concerned with the current situation regarding the Queens.

Nam General Secretary Isaac Chimwala said they were relieved.

“I can confirm that our treasurer has acknowledged receipt of the allowances,” he said.

Last week, some Queens players confided in this paper that Nam should not drag Sports Council into allowances mess, saying they were protesting against top up allowances from their sponsor, FDH Bank.

The Queens participated in the Pent Series and the African Netball Cup in Namibia in November last year where they finished second and third respectively.

Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker