The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) Thursday held a meeting in Salima to strategise on the case of former Minister of Agriculture George Chaponda who is answering corruption charges.
Director of the graft-busting body Lucas Kondowe, while confirming the meeting, said he could not divulge more details.
The meeting follows the opening of the courts Thursday after judiciary support staff went on strike since July 31.
The strike affected the commencement of the trial.
“Now that the courts have opened, we will go back to see which dates they will set for us and once we get the dates, we will communicate to you. As I am speaking right now the leadership of ACB is meeting, in Salima to discuss the issue,” Kondowe said.
The case, which involves Chaponda, businessman Rashid Tayub and Grace Mijiga Mhango of Grain Traders Association, was scheduled for August 9, 10, 11 and 14.
Tayub will be charged with influencing a public officer to misuse his public office while Mhango will be charged with forgery.
Last month, ACB Deputy Director Reyneck Matemba told The Daily Times that the bureau will make an application to consolidate the cases so that they are heard in one place.
However, this has not been the case as the bureau failed to make the application due to the strike.
Matemba was quoted as saying the ACB was supposed to start parading witnesses from August 9.
“After the three pleaded not guilty during bail application at Blantyre and Lilongwe Magistrate’s Courts respectively, the bureau will start parading witnesses on the involvement of the three in the suspicious purchase of maize from Zambia,” he said.
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues