Advertisement
International

UN chief ‘outraged’ over DRC deadly shooting

Advertisement

The United Nations (UN) Secretary General, Antonio Guterres, says he is outraged after two people were killed and 15 others were injured when peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) opened fire at a border crossing.

In a statement, Guterres called for accountability after the incident, which happened as the soldiers forced their way across the border from Uganda into eastern DRC.

The head of the UN peacekeeping mission (Monusco) said arrests had been made and an investigation had been opened.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, DRC has suspended the UN troops that were linked to the shootout.

According to government spokesman, Patrick Muyaya, UN peacekeepers arrested in the Democratic Republic of Congo over the killing of two civilians at a border crossing on Sunday will no longer serve in the country.

“The government appeals to the Congolese people in general to stay calm, and particularly in Kasindi and the entire province of North Kivu,” Muyaya further said.—BBC

Advertisement

Advertisement
Tags
Show More
Advertisement

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker