By Madalitso Musa:
“His Excellency the President, Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by Section 94(1) of the Constitution of the Republic of Malawi, has made some changes to the Cabinet with effect from 7th November, 2018,” reads the press release signed by Chief Secretary to the Government Lloyd Muhara.Advertisement
Chilima quit the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) to form UTM. However, according to the Constitution of Malawi, the president does not have power to fire his deputy.
Second on the list, which is normally occupied by the Vice President, is Minister of Finance Goodall Gondwe.
Mutharika has maintained a 20-member Cabinet which has the majority of faces that have been there since the last reshuffle in July last year.
A notable casualty is Anna Kachikho who has been fired and replaced by Jean Kalilani as Minister of Land, Housing and Urban Development.
New entrants in the Cabinet are Welani Chilenga who is now Deputy Minister of Natural Resources Energy and Mining, and DPP regional governor for the Southern Region, Charles Mchacha, who is deputising Nicholas Dausi at the Ministry of Homeland Security— formerly Ministry of Home Affairs. Dausi has been moved to the renamed ministry and has been replaced at the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology by Henry Mussa. According to the press statement, the Department of Disaster Management Affairs will be under the Ministry of Homeland Security.
Another new entrant is Amoni Mailosi who has been roped in as Deputy Minister of Defence.
Ntcheu North East Member of Parliament, Everton Chimulirenji has been promoted to Minister of Civic Education, Culture and Community Development from Deputy Minister of Defence. He has replaced Cecilia Chazama who is now heading the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare.
Another change has seen Grace Chiumia returning to the Ministry of Labour, Youth, Sports and Manpower Development which was held by Francis Kasaila who has been moved to the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism.
The Office of the President has also announced that Kalekeni Kaphale will return as Attorney General following the resignation of Charles Mhango.
FULL CABINET LIST
- President, Minister of Defence and Commander-In- Chief of the Malawi Defence Force=Peter Mutharika
- Minister of Finance, Economic Planning and Development=Goodall Gondwe
- Minister of Information and Communications Technology=Henry Mussa
- Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development=Jean Kalilani
- Minister of Local Government and Rural Deve lopment=Kondwani Nankhumwa
- Minister of Health and Population=Atupele Muluzi
- Minister of Industry, Trade and Tourism=Francis Kasaila
- Minister of Agriculture, Irrigation and Water Development=Joseph Mwanamvekha
- Minister of Education, Science and Technology= Bright Msaka
- Minister of Justice and Constitutional Affairs=Samuel Tembenu
- Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation=Emmanuel Fabiano
- Minister of Labour, Youth, Sports and Manpower Development=Grace Chiumia
- Minister of Transport and Public Works=Jappie Mhango
- Minister of Homeland Security=Nicholas Dausi
- Minister of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare= Cecilia Chazama
- Minister of Natural Resources, Energy and Mining=Aggrey Masi
- Minister of Civic Education, Culture and Community Development=Everton Chimulireni
- Deputy Minister of Homeland Security=Charles Mchacha
- Deputy Minister of Defence=Amos Mailosi
- Deputy Minister of Natural Resources, Energy
A vibrant writer who gives a great insight on hot topics and issues