Zeroing in

Nyasa Big Bullets open 11-point gap after thrashing Red Lions

Kalisto Pasuwa

By Isaac Salima & Ronald Mpaso:

Nyasa Big Bullets are on course to lifting their third consecutive TNM Super League title after a 3-1 thumping of Red Lions at Kamuzu Stadium in Blantyre Wednesday.

The victory has taken Bullets to 55 points from 21 games, with Kamuzu Barracks (KB) lying second with 44 points after playing 23 games.


Having already opened an 11-point gap, the People’s Team has the advantage with a maximum point count of 82 against 73 for Blue Eagles and Mighty Mukuru Wanderers’ 67.

Bullets are remaining with five home and four away games in their quest to wrap up the title.

They will take on Civil Service United, Blue Eagles, Moyale, Dedza Dynamos and Karonga United at Kamuzu Stadium in Blantyre, where they have not lost a match in recent years.


Bullets will remain in Blantyre for two of their away matches at Mpira Stadium against Mighty Wakawaka Tigers and Sable Farming, with just two matches taking them out of the commercial capital.

They will travel to Silver Stadium in Lilongwe to take on Silver Strikers before going to Chitowe in Dwangwa, Nkhotakota District, for a showdown against Mafco.

In yesterday’s match, Alick Lungu, Hassan Kajoke and Babatunde Adepoju scored for Bullets while Moses Nankumba was on target for the visitors.

The defeat has condemned the Zomba-based soldiers to position 12 on the log table with 25 points, just above the relegation zone.

Red Lions were the first to settle down, containing Bullets for the better part of the game.

Nankumba opened the scores with a diving header from Mathews Boloweza’s pinpoint cross in the 25th minute.

But Bullets pulled level six minutes later with Lungu driving the ball into the back of the net from just outside the box.

The two teams went into half time with the level score.

In the final half, the visitors took control of the game but could not create more scoring chances.

After a wasteful performance, Kajoke finally brought smiles on Bullets’ supporters when he headed home from a corner kick to give Bullets the lead in the 53rd minute.

However, Bullets continued with their casual approach to the game, giving the visitors room to maneuver.

Red Lions were all over in the last half as they hunted for an equaliser but lacked coordination in the final half to turn their dominance into goals.

The game turned into a no contest after substitute Babatunde hammered the last nail on the soldiers’ coffin with two minutes to full time.

Bullets held on to achieve a double over the Malawi Defence Force side that they beat 2-0 in the first round.

In a post-match interview, Bullets coach Kalisto Pasuwa faulted his players for their approach to the game.

“After beating Wanderers last week, the boys thought this game would be easy. It is because of such attitudes that we missed so many scoring chances in this game. We need to talk to the players that a game is always over when it is,” Pasuwa said.

His counterpart Mike Kumanga was quick to accept defeat.

“It was a tough game but we played well. However, we allowed them to score cheap goals and that is something we need to work on,” Kumanga said.

Bullets’ next match is against Civil at Kamuzu Stadium on Sunday while Red Lions lock horns with Moyale on Wednesday at Balaka Stadium.

Facebook Notice for EU! You need to login to view and post FB Comments!
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker