Zicco Mkanda ready for contract extension
Veteran striker Zicco Mkanda has expressed readiness to discuss with his new club Nyasa Big Bullets on the possibility of extending his contract.
Mkanda has been at Bullets since March when he signed a one-year deal as a free agent from bitter archrivals Be Forward Wanderers.
The on-and-off Malawi national football team attacker made his Bullets debut in February during the Energem International Bonanza at Kamuzu Stadium which was won by Zimbabwean Premier Soccer League side Chicken Inn.
Since then, he has been unable to further prove his worth at the People’s Team as football remains suspended after President Peter Mutharika declared a state of national disaster due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Mkanda’s contract is expected to end in December as the uncertainty surrounding commencement of the 2020 season continues.
But in an interview Thursday, Mkanda said he was ready to start negotiating with Bullets on the way forward.
“I am open to discussing the matter with Bullets since until now, nobody can tell when the season will kick off. As a professional player, I know what it takes to play for a big club like Bullets. I signed for them and I must play for them as well. I have found a home at Bullets and I am eager to serve the team,” Mkanda said.
Bullets Chief Administrator, Albert Chigoga, said there were several matters that needed to be sorted out first before making any commitments.
“We need to consult Fam on the new Fifa transfer rules. The season remains suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic and we want to be advised on how best to deal with such matters. But we will first engage him in discussions,” Chigoga said.
Mkanda, who impressed Bullets Coach Kalisto Pasuwa during three-week trials, netted four goals last season but Wanderers released him as one way of reducing their wage bill.
The TNM Super League champions also signed Misheck Selemeni from Karonga United on a three-year deal.